Summer Youth Employment Program
Providing Youth With Valuable Work Experience
The Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) provides Broward County students between the ages of 16 and 18 with paid employment between June and August. Selected youth work in a variety of clerical and assistant or aide roles with government agencies, libraries, community organizations, for-profits, nonprofits and more. SYEP, a program primarily funded by the Children’s Services Council of Broward County, is more than just a job. It is a true learning experience, with lessons about how to obtain a job, how to keep a job and how to become professional. This dynamic program is designed to prepare youth for the future workforce.
- Application period opens Jan. 7 and ends Jan. 22, 2019 (application period is currently closed)
- Selection is income based and on a first-come, first-served basis (random lottery)
- All participants selected will receive an eligibility packet in the mail
- Must be a Broward County resident
- Must be able to work in the U.S.
- Family income (economically disadvantaged)
- Must have valid and current identification
- Training is held at three local high schools in Broward County: Pompano Beach High School, Dillard High School and Hallandale Beach High School
- Training focuses on basic soft skills, with an emphasis on punctuality, dressing professional, communication, problem solving and teamwork
- Attendance is mandatory for all three days of training
Where SYEP Participants Have Worked!
The Summer Youth Employment program is funded primarily by the Children's Services Council of Broward County, with additional funding provided by City of Fort Lauderdale, City of Pembroke Pines, Broward County and Bank of America.
Does Your Business Need Help During The Summer?
Employers in Broward County can hire a young adult at NO COST for the eight-week summer program, as both the Children's Services Council of Broward County and CSBD will cover the wages and associated program costs – a savings of nearly $3,000 per each youth hired. If your business is interested in serving as a worksite during the program, please fill out the form below, and a member our team will reach out to you. *Please note that SYEP is no longer recruiting employers for the 2019 program year.